Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 18:07:13 -0500
From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>I seem to be unable to listen to anyone except Bach and most of Chopin.
>...Could you give me any advice?

You probably listen mostly to piano music, then; Bach's Well-tempered
Clavier or Goldberg Variations, perhaps?

I see the List generally encouraging you to listen to other composers, but
perhaps you should explore the question: what about Bach/Chopin do you
really like?

Is it the homogeneity of the piano sound? Is it the counterpoint? the
harmony?

Try the Chopin concertos; both are beautiful.

Try Bach's orchestral works (if you haven't already): e.g.  the
Brandenburgs.

Try Bach's organ works: perhaps the Passacaglia and fugue in C minor!

Try some choral music, e.g. bits of the Christmas Oratorio, or maybe
BWV 140.

If you like the Chopin concertos, you could try Beethoven, or Schumann,
or Mozart piano concertos.

If you like the Brandenburgs, you could try Mozart symphonies (not very
closely related, though,) or Beethoven's 3rd or 5th, or Mozart's violin
concertos.  Or indeed any concerto; concertos are a pleasant "in" into
the mainstream orchestral classics.

If you like organ works, you're in deep trouble.  I mean, there's lots of
it around, but if you listen to a lot of it, people tend to avoid you.
It's way too late for me.

Choral music: It's hard to find good stuff after Bach.  I had to turn to
Handel, and Haydn; and Wagner (not choral, actually, but still, pretty
good).  And Bruckner.  Also, Schutz, Scarlatti, and the late British
renaissance guys, and...well try those and write back!

Have you heard the Samuel Barber Adagio for Strings?

Arch.