Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:40:18 -0800
From:
Jonathan Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Andrei Jorza <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There is quite a nice part in Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue somewhere at
>about 8 min 15 seconds that very much resembles Tschaikowsky' music.
>
>Does anyone think there is any influence or is it just mere coincidence?

Gershwin was fervent in his desire to be taken seriously as a composer.
He made numerous visits to various composers to study, but most of them
turned him down.  I tend to find more of Ravel in Gershwin's music rather
than Tchaikovsky, but that's probably the jazz connection.

I'm sure the "European" or "Germanic" influence comes from Gershwin's
attempts to be taken more seriously.

Jonathan Knapp