Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:10:18 +0100
From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Her is my "Secret Tip".  Try Andre Cluytens on mid price HMV.  He made
a complete survey of the Ravel orchestral works which always strike me
as very idiomatic.  Just the right mix between exactness and coloury
blending.  Also, it shows how Ravel incorporated some (admitted
"salon-fahig" only) jazz influences.  At least to me, the opening of
Cluytens reading of the "Pavane" played by the Orchestre de la Societe
des Concerts du Conservatoire sounds quite like Tommy Dorsey getting
sentimental.  One has to like it, but I do.  Especially their Ma mere
l'oye is fantastic in colour.

Come to think of it, I've also always held a soft spot for Haitink's
readings with the Concertgebouworkest on Philips; or could I be just a
Dutch chauvinist?

Looking at the concertos, I don't totally agree with Dave, but I can
understand how he comes to the conclusion.  I think Boulez is the one
to blame, judging by Zimerman's earlier splendid Ravel recordings.  Only
Boulez seems for me to veto those things that some call personal and others
idiosyncratic.  Not for me thanks.  You might want to try the old Argerich
account for sheer brilliance.

One more of my favourites:  Lenfant et les sortilleges.  Try Maazel for
fun and idiomatic reading and try the recent Previn/LSO if you want a
mint recorded summing-up of what Ravel could do with an orchestra.

Have fun with Ravel.
Jos