Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:38:55 -0500
From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
I enjoyed reading the Conductor lists of Don Satz and Steven Schwartz.

I'm still thinking of my own list, and whether to post it eventually.  But
in the meantime, I offer one thought on the dichotomy between "mainstream"
conductors, and those who specialize in older musics--some individuals of
the latter category have directed performances by composers who literally
span the centuries from the Medieval to Beethoven's time, using ensembles
that range from those that use crummhorns and archlutes to orchestras that
(although using period instruments), still are recognizable by any symphony
orchestra listener.

Yet my impression is always that it's these musicians who are considered to
have a "limited" repertory, whereas many of the "mainstream" conductors
don't do anything earlier than Mozart, or later than Bartok.  So who's got
the more "limited" repertory?

Bill H.