Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:59:44 -0500
From:
Marcus Maroney <[log in to unmask]>
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Isn't the voting going to be less meaningful if the reasons for choices are
>mixed? Some argue from popularity and sales as above, others for artistic
>influence, the patina of age and reputation, etc.  Or am I just splitting
>hairs?

Considering this is an opinion poll I don't think there's much of an issue.
I take it as just an opinion of list members' favorite pieces and pieces
that seem to stand out for some reason or another.  Generally speaking,
commercial success (as in number of CDs sold) could have some play in how
influential a piece is.  Obviously the more persons a piece reaches has a
huge effect on immediate influence.  In the case of the Gorecki, his style
shift was *extremely* influential in Europe and the US helping composers
not be 'afraid' of tonality and quiet music.  Whether or not the 3rd
symphony is the best example of this is another matter all together, but it
can be said to be one of the first examples many people would think of when
discussing the style of "liturgical minimalism" or whatever nomenclature
goes with it---composers including Gorecki, Part, and Tavener.

A similar case might be made for Rhapsody in Blue.  While no one denies its
enormous influence on the century's music, I don't think most people would
claim that it is a technical tour-de-force, nor tops the list of Gershwin's
output in terms of quality.

Marcus Maroney