Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:43:40 -0500
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>I know that you are right about my fairly narrow focus on high quality
>sound: but, in the absence of a full orchestra in my living room, when
>I come home from work and try to distract myself before bedtime, there
>is just nothing like having 5.1 surround sound and immersing myself in
>the illusion that I am at the conductor's podium.  Only good sound without
>hiss and with proper presentation of timbre and dimension of the real thing
>will truly do it for me.  There is nothing like it.

Hoping not to have ventured out of the scope of what is appropriate for
this list, what is "surround sound" 5.1 or otherwise? It sounds as though
it's supposed to give you the illusion of having the music come at you
from all directions.  But while that might be the way we would hear it as
performers, it's hardly the way we'd hear it in a concert or recital hall.
Maybe "5.1 surround sound" means something different.

Walter Meyer