Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 03:43:20 -0500
From:
Ron Ackermann <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>If I were to listen to my first Shostakovich symphony, should it be
>the 5th? I'm looking at the Shostakovich 5th conducted by Mstislav
>Rostropovich

The fifth is good, but probably not the best or most representative of
Shostakovich's symphonic output.  I would suggest the 10th symphony as a
better place to start.

I will reiterate what others have said about sound quality.  You will
miss out on some incredible performances, particularly of Shostakovich
symphonies and chamber works, if you limit yourself to DDD recordings.
There is a huge reservoir of Shostakovich recordings by Soviet orchestras
and performers that, while not sounding pristine, are not to be missed.

Ron Ackermann