From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:42:10 -0500
On 8 Nov 99, at 23:19, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have burned out one drill making cream honey. I used a hand drill and a
> mixing paddle I bought from Betterbee!  Anyone got a better solution to

We have been making creamed honey for many years and without a great
deal of fuss, this year about 200 lbs. Sells very well, preferred by
many.
        Firstly, let's establish what traditional creamed honey is all
about.
        It should be light coloured, soft and buttery in texture without the
'sand' feel in your mouth. It should remain soft indefinitely, and
definitely never granulate hard.  Whipping, stirring or beating
granulated honey is not creaming it.
        We start just after extraction in 5gln or 50 lbs pails. It should
not be heated, but finely filtered, as I believe granulation starts
on solid particles, then add the seed. We use a small amount of last
years creamed, approx 1lbs added to the pail and stirred twice per
day using a  honey creamer. It takes approx 2-3 weeks on our basement
floor and will slowly turn into good creamed honey but not harden.
        Some hints and tips.
        The finer the seed the finer the final creamed honey.
        Cool temp throughout, even when complete it will liquefy very
quickly and then it separates and looks ugly.
        Superb to eat on toast or bagels.
        Add cinnamon for a difference.
        Ideal for making honey butter.
We sell the honey creamer, for further information please e-mail us
direct.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>