Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:43:00 EDT
As an alternative to using a shallow frame for bees to draw drone comb
beneath try using a shallow eke below the brood box.  The advantages are that
you do not sacrifice valuable worker brood space; that bees generally tend
not to turn worker comb into drone if there is space to build drone
elsewhere; that you get lots of lovely wax for the melter.

My advice to Bob is to go with the bees.  If they need 2 brood boxes let them
have 2.  If the bees in your neighbourhood are content with one that makes
management so much easier.  Here in the UK I normally aim to use 1 but if
using a 2 queen system or making an artificial swarm I sometimes end up with
2 for a while.  I always winter with 1.  Be flexible.

Has Ted considered whether the one treated hive with lots of Varroa mites may
have gained them from a nearby untreated colony they robbed?  This
explanation would seem to fit the facts as he presents them as well as the
resistance theory.

They important factor in showing honey is that it should be up to the weight
specified.  The standard UK one pound jar has a line around it just below the
screw threads.  This level indicates the volume occupied by a pound of
ordinary honey (heather honey has lots of air bubbles which need to be
allowed for).  The show judge will bring his own set of electronic scales and
an empty jar with lid.  He will not penalise an entry for showing the top of
the honey as long as it is heavy enough.  Having said that, I do normally
over fill my jars of honey for sale so the top is concealed by the rim of the
lid so that the customer thinks she is getting good measure for her money.

Are there any beekeepers in Tenerife?  I shall be there for a week at the end
of the month and would welcome a meeting with tropical bees and their keeper.

Chris Slade