HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jake Ivey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:18:03 -0400
     I frequently write about Spanish colonial structures and institutions.
     Every time I use a Spanish word, I italicize it and define it.  Every
     time I mention someone, like Columbus or Coronado, I give the full
     name, even though virtually everyone knows it.  Every time I mention a
     ceramic type, I give the standard refence to the standard text where
     it was best defined.  I attempt to write in such a way (usually with
     only mixed success) that the writing makes the content clear, rather
     than obscure.  These are the things one should do as a professional.
     I can't say that I see these practices being followed when new, and
     usually transient, terminology is being used.  "Culture" is not a
     transient concept, but even so, I'd define it if I was going to be
     making a point about theory.

     Jake.