From:
Felix Delbruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:05:56 +1300
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Rather than say I am or was irritated by beginnings, I should say there
>are some that I used to not understand.  These would include: [...]
>Tchaikovsky: 1st Piano concerto (big theme that never comes back)

If you understand it now, can you please explain it to me? Why does the
theme never come back? Does it play some indirect role in the work's
further development that my ears are missing, or is it really just tacked
on? If the latter, can one nevertheless rationalize it in some way so that
it no longer irritates?

Felix Delbruck