HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:18:16 -0400
I have been doing some research for properties about to be destroyed by
construction for the purpose of archaeological historical and prehistoric for
NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission requirements. I have come across some
interesting connections that you might be interested in.

The Mayflower Web site states:

"Isaac Allerton has a relatively small number of descendants compared to
other Mayflower passengers, but is an ancestor to Presidents Zachary Taylor
and Franklin D. Roosevelt."

When Isaac Allerton left the Colony (see James Deetz's book "In Small Things
Forgotten" where he relates finding a half built building by Isaac Allerton,
though there is nothing more on him in the book). Isaac Allerton goes on to
settle in New Haven, CT, where he is buried still, at least we hope so,
having been moved to the current cemetery in front of Yale, and his stone
incorporated into the wall around it. It is said he is the first Pilgrim to
die in CT or something to that affect and a web site exists about the
cemetery there. Isaac Allerton was a big trader in New Amsterdam in what is
now New York City and many things have been named after him the "largest"
Allerton Ave that runs across the Bronx separating the Bronx Zoo and the
Bronx Botanical Gardens running east to the Hutchinson River on maps however
Co-op City exists in the lowlands it once probably crossed to a bridge, maybe
just planned.

Anyway, here is the interesting connection. I have researched the parking lot
in NYC's South Street Seaport, that is bounded by Peck Slip, Water Street,
Pearl Street and Beekman Street. A proposed building has been rejected ten
times there! Also a new NYC subterranean aqueduct tunnel has to come up there
or at One Police Plaza where the police park for free! At this location Isaac
Allerton, owner of the ship "Hope" bought land from Phillippe du Trieux, a
court messenger of marshal in the New Amsterdam society. He is commemorated
at this web site "Association of Descendants of Philippe du Trieux," at
http://www.apci.net/~truax/.

So the interesting connection between these two great events is the
connection that Isaac Allerton begins by buying a narrow strip of land 500
feet of shoreline, and places a warehouse of at least two stories to do
business in New Amsterdam, the remains of which some may reside under the
parking lot three blocks from the current waterline, under landfill.

As to the Mayflower "mistake" about Elder Brewster and Nathaniel Brewster,
first doctoral class of Harvard University (Allerton's son also attended) who
is not Elder Brewster's grandson, could you provide me with a little more
information? I have studied Setauket from an archaeological viewpoint at the
"Captain Brewster Hawkins House" on Conscience Bay, where the "last slaver"
"Wanderer" was built and sold to a cotton merchant in 1858. Who then was Rev.
Nathanial Brewster related to?

Sincerely,
George J, Myers, Jr.

PS: Might I if need be relate both of your sites to the NYC Landmarks
Preservation Commission? I truly wish that if the remains of this important
site be there that it be duly recorded by archaeologists. Please feel free to
provide unsolicited information to them about the site noted now only as "250
Water" Block 98, when in fact many, many people lived there, former Quaker
Mayor of NYC, Mayor Bowne, and an ancient Irish Quaker Abolitionist, Thomas
Eddy. A real single building across the street at 251 Water St. is on the
National Register!