From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:50:50 -0700
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>The only cycle I could find, though, was in three separate CD's.  It does
>not look like RCA has put the cycle together in one boxed set.  Is this
>correct?

You are right that RCA has not yet put them together into a box set (not
a bad thing for people who may not like the complete cycle).  Syms 1-6
(1&4, 2&6, 3&5) are on 3 CDs and the 7th plus Kullervo on a 2CD set and
a seperate CD for other symphonic tone poems.

>Also, since everyone knows that I'm a sound guy, The Internet
>listings of the CD's that I found don't tell me if it is DDD.  I never
>assume that recordings are hiss or hum free unless they are DDD although
>some ADD stuff can be real good.  Please tell me about the sound quality
>of the Colin Davis RCA recording.

The RCA Sibelius by LSO/Davis is DDD and the sound is generally good
and the 1&4 disc has excellent sound.  This cycle certainly enjoys
better recording than his earlier one with Boston Symphony on Philips
(2 DUO sets 4CDs total including popular tone poems) at budget price.

Since you demand the best possible sound, among available complete cycles,
Davis' is the best.

Is Janssons' Sibelius cycle ging to be completed any time soon? The
releases so far are quite promising.

Jun