From:
Donald Scarinci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 06:13:30 EST
If I were to listen to my first Shostakovich symphony, should it be the
5th? I'm looking at the Shostakovich 5th conducted by Mstislav Rostropovich
on Teldec.  How is the performance and the sound on that? Is there a
different Shostakovich that anyone can recommend.  (Please remember that
I'm big on sound quality.  I try to stick with DDD, lean toward Telarc
material, and I'll always wait for 5.1 channel surround sound if that's on
the horizon with a recording even if the performance is not the best that
exists).

Donald Scarinci