From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:41:01 PST
It was many months ago that a new Bach recording directed by Paul McCreesh
was released in Europe on Archiv.  Titled "Epiphany Mass", it represented
McCreesh's attempt to present the Mass as it might have been circa 1740 in
Leipzig.  Unfortunately, this was one of those recordings that waits for
months to be distributed in the U.S.  But, it's finally here and well worth
the wait.

McCreesh presents us with a series of organ pieces, hymns, cantatas, a
Missa Brevis, preludes, two instrumental pieces by Pachebel, and even some
church bells.  I found it all very effective.  Not being of a religious
nature, I was looking for musical continuity and variety and think that
McCreesh has done an excellent job blending them together.

The recorded sound is excellent, notes are great, and the presentation is
first class in all respects.  Orchestral support is expert, each vocal
soloist effective, and the choirs are on top of their game.

This is a one-of-a-kind recording that either works or not, and it worked
for me.  I just stretched out, put myself in a church setting, and let the
music unfold before me.  It seemed natural and was fully satisfying.  I
have no idea if it would be liturgically satisfying.

Overall, although excellent, I don't consider the recording a must-buy.
I can play the "church" role a few times in a short number of days as a
novelty, but it gets old rather fast.  I think the disc would be most
enjoyed for the long run by a person of religious conviction who loves
Bach's music and sees the musical and liturgical presentations as vivid
and natural.

Don Satz