From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:41:07 PST
Doug Fisher writes:

>I am trying to decide between the Cura/Davis recording and the
>Domingo/Chung recording.

Before giving my recommendation, I want to emphasize that both recordings
are very good.  Also, there's a previous one by Davis for Philips with
Carreras and Baltsa which is no slouch either.  That one was 9 years
earlier than the one with Cura.

The main weakness of the earlier Davis recording was the soloists.  Neither
Baltsa or Carreras are my cup of tea, although their "acting" is very good.
The newer Davis recording has Cura and Borodina who are very good singers
per se.  The Chung has Domingo and Meier, but I do prefer Cura and
Borodina.

What mainly tips my hat toward the newer Davis is that he conducts the
opera better than Chung.  Davis has this music in his blood.

I would caution that some feel that both Cura and Borodina were a little
deficient as actors.  I don't see it that way.  But, honestly, I can't see
how you can miss with either recording.

Don Satz