From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:57:53 PST
Andrys Basten wrote in response to me:

>>Many people tend to think not too well of the (Schumann) piano
>>concerto, and I wonder if it's performances like the Argerich which
>>lead to that opinion.
>
>I doubt it's "performances like the Argerich" -- unless you mean,
>"like the Harnoncourt" or "like the engineering on the Argerich"...
>I had the same reaction but when I raised the sound level to Loud,
>it made all the difference to me.

Right, it wasn't my intent to place the disc's problems at Argerich's door.
Engineering is likely the major culprit.

I usually listen to music at loud volume.  As I recall, when I raised the
volume of the Teldec disc, what most struck me was how that piano clanging
effect got even harder to take.  But, Andrys knows what she's talking
about, and I'll give the disc another spin with her comments in mind.

Don Satz