From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:06:46 -0500
Don Satz writes of his superb new car cd player:

>The only problem is that I'm not concentrating on driving as I usually do.
>Twice today, I almost slammed into the car ahead of me due to insufficient
>attention on my part (driving too fast plays a part also).

Gould of course had the same problem with his car radio.  He would get so
passionate in his "conducting" of the music (with both hands flailing even)
that he'd lose control of the vehicle and strike other cars or telephone
poles.  I'm fairly certain this conducting response was not limited to
orchestral music, or even classical music (and now, maestro Gould steps out
to conduct "Don't Sleep In The Subway Baby" with the Volvo Philharmonic at
75 mph...) He was stopped by the police numerous times for his driving, but
usually escaped any penalty by dint of being a national hero.  Another hero
of mine, the comic book artist Jack Kirby, was simply not allowed by his
wife to drive at all, as he was prone to literally "thinking he's piloting
a rocket ship" and getting them in a wreck.

Jon Lewis