From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:25:05 -0600
Bob Draper:

>I have just got the Rubenstein piano sonatas played by Howard on Hyperion.
>I find this a wonderful set; music, sound and performance.
>
>But others have not always rated Howard's Lizst performances.
>
>Does anyone have a view on their merits?

The ones I've heard have been superb (there are at least 40 volumes in the
series).  He turns the finger-tricks into real music.  Cziffra is for me
probably the most exciting Liszt player, but Howard brings out a meditative
quality in Liszt.

I must admit that I've gone through a hate-love relationship with this
composer.  At one point, after the St.  Francis on the water (or was it the
Sonnetto del Petrarco 123?) had annoyed me for what I hoped was the last
time, I said to myself, "If that's all it takes to compose a so-called
masterpiece, I can turn this stuff out by the barrel." I proceeded to try.
It's a lot harder than it sounds, unfortunately.

Steve Schwartz