From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:44:43 PST
Chris Bonds wrote:

>There is what I call musical truth, but I don't know what others call it.

Whatever we might call it, where are we going to find it? I contend that
it can only be found within each of us.  I have my musical truth, and it
only applies to me and is germane to me.  Another person can *adopt* my
musical truth, but that's just the lazy way to handle it.  And, I see an
individual's sense of musical truth as being the foundation for personal
preference.  If Chris is aware of any other source where musical truth can
be found, I'll go there promptly.  At this point, it would be like looking
for the Holy Grail.

Chris also mentioned Corelli as a baroque composer who is certainly no
lower than in the 2nd tier of baroque composers and indicated that the
sanity of a person who would place Corelli in the 3rd tier is questionable.
Of course, I think he was kidding.  I would not place Corelli in any 3rd
tier, because there isn't any 3rd tier.  If you're not in my first or
second tier, you're out of the game.  Corelli is okay, but I wouldn't
spend money on his music anymore (I have a few Corelli cd's from the
early 1990's).  Any of the features of baroque music that I love can
be better located with other baroque composers.

Don Satz