From:
"David Orea C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:55:05 -0500
Ever since I was a kid the music as background in films has been something
that attracts my attention.

There are composers who achieve the perfect balance.  Exact dose of moments
with silence + Exact dose of moments with music.  (The appropiate kind of
music).

Music suggesting danger, tranquility, succes, mystery, sadness, madness,
happyness etc.

Music that couples (join) with love, anguish, persecution scenes.  Other,
very descriptive for landscapes, maritime images, lonely places etc.

Max Steiner, Alfred Newman, Alex North, Miklos Rozsa, Bernard Herrmann,
E.W.  Korngold, Victor Young, D.Tiomkin, George Duning, E.  Bernstein are
some among my favorite.  Brian Easdale (The Red Shoes), W.Alwyn (Odd Man
Out), or Walton (Hamlet) are also worth mentioning.(And some dozens more).

If I don't mention any movie with the first group is because I would like
reading some comments about their works and your favorite.

Were the '40s & '50s a Golden Era? Was there a special school for this kind
of music?

Composers like Schifrin, Legrand, Morricone, Grusin, Mancini are on the
same level that the above mentioned?

Who are your favorite? In which movies?

Thanks in advance.

PS.- A Streetcar Named Desire, Laura, Picnic, Gone with the Wind....

Dave.