From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:04:27 -0500
Joel Hill wrote in response to an assertion that Fanfare is an 'advertorial'
publication which reviews only those labels which advertise in the magazine:

>I have real trouble believing that the reviews are always generous.  In
>particular, Fanfare was not very positive about one of Leslie Howard's
>2-disk List volumes.  I went against their "non-recommendation" and
>purchased the set anyway, jsut to get the Norma Fantasy.  I was
>disappointed just like they said.  I have stayed away from several
>purchases just because of their "non generous" reporting.

I agree.  I have worked in the publishing inductry for years (though not
in the musical field) and can attest to the fact that authors and editors
have an invariable habit of speaking their mind, despite any institutional
bias to the contrary.  I do not know the truth as to Fanfare's editorial
policy -- I'm not the publisher or a writer for them -- but I do know that
I find the reviews in the magazine to be stimulating, well thought out and
balanced.  To say they are always generous is false -- that is simply not
the case.  I find Fanfare one of the best magazines of its type around
(which is why I have subscribed for six years) and I hope Joel Flegler will
be able to continue to publish it.  The musical community needs something
like this around -- even if it is flawed in some respects (which I don't
believe till further evidence is brought to bear).

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA