Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:28:10 -0800
From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Karl Miller wrote:

>I am reminded of something one of my teachers once suggested.  Her idea was
>to place a ban on the music of Beethoven for some unspecified time period.
>It would give everyone an opportunity to explore repertoire and after the
>end of the ban, we might have a different perspective on Beethoven's music.
>Obviously one could add Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, et al to the
>equation.

I personally think this would be an excellent idea.  Beethoven badly needs
a rest, poor old fellow.  Wonderful as he is, he does have a bombastic
side; and because he is performed so much he has to endure more than
his share of perfunctory performances.  In London last winter I went to
a concert that featured Sarah Chang playing a Bartok violin concerto,
followed by the Beethoven 7th.  The orchestra was on fire for the Bartok;
the Beethoven was just ho-hum.  Give the guy a sabbatical!

Julia Werthimer
California USA          email: [log in to unmask]