Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:17:03 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
I did not give my views on this subject yet so here goes.

The worst cover I've seen was the series of Haydn Symphonies that carried
a crass endorsement quote from Mozart across the front.  I thing this was
by the Scottish philharmonic.

The best covers I' ve seen are the boxed set of Haydn's named symphonies
on collins classics by Robert Haydn Clarke and Saint Seans Carnival of
the Animals on Carlton by D.V.Yu.

The former item features pictures to represent the themes of the symphonies
eg soldiers and drums.  Clark's performances are above average for this
repertoire too.

The Saint Seans disc features a beautiful picture of the the animals in the
music.  The edging is transparent and the creatures can be seen there as
well.  Yu's performance of the Carnival is excellent.  However the organ
symphony coupling is not of such a high standard.  Nevertheless at bargain
basement this would make a nice present for children.

Bob Draper