From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:05:34 +0100
> Frankly, I doubt bees that have been starved will ever amount to much,
unless
> they have a long time until winter and lots of ideal conditions.

There is a lot to be said for killing or "Culling" as Dave puts it.  However
if you only have one or two hives then this is not an option.  This method
would therefor only be used if you wanted to save the colony for some
reason.  A couple of thought occur regarding this method.  One is that it is
possible illegal to use this method in Britain although I think the laws
regarding this are a bit outdated as are any other laws regarding bees and
beekeeping.  The second thought is you would have to think about the source
of the disease.  I suspect that most of the hives become infected though
robbing and after "curing"  your colony they may return to the original
source and become re-infected.
With regard to culling in general I think this must depend on your reason
for keeping bees.  If you are only interested in profit from your bees then
culling is probably your best option.  However if you are interested in
keeping bees then killing them seems a bit silly.

Harry,

Scottish Bee Issues:-  http://www.luichartwoollens.freeserve.co.uk