From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:08:26 +0000
Tom Barrett wrote:

> Since long lived bees have a lower ratio of brood to bees than the short lived
> varieties,
I think your reasoning goes awry when looking at the "ratio" of bees to brood.
The ration of bees to brood may be different (more bees living longer, hence
more bees to brood), but a difference affected by varroa would only be realized
if there were less brood in a genetically long-lived breed than brood in a
genetically short-lived breed.  The "ratio" of bees to brood is a red herring.

> does it not follow that since varroa thrive in brood but are
> vulnerable when on bees, that the long lived strains should be more tolerant
> to varroa?.
This would only follow if long-lived breeds have less brood than short-lived
breeds.  Did Wedmore make this claim?  Furthermore, one of the effects of
varroa is lessening the life span of a bee, regardless if the bee has a
diathesis for long or short life.  I suspect varroa is an independent
parameter regardless of a longevity gene (assuming a longevity gene exists -
obviously I have not read Wedmore).

Aaron Morris - thinking the more I learn, the less I know!
- wondering if Wedmore is a second cousin to Furthermore.