From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:08:42 -0700
> ...Honeymead company of Mankato, Minnesota...  Their product
> (Honeysoy) is I understand a hexane processed product...

> ...is the need for expeller processed soyflour a beekeeping "urban myth"?

No, Stuart of Mann Lake told me that they use expeller processed flour and that
there is only one supplier in North America.  The use it in BeePro because he
says the residual chemicals in the other product can repel bees.

Derrick at AHPC chased a supplier down for me.  Apparently they only have meal,
but would be happy to grind it for us.  With time and distance constraints and
all, I did not follow up, since most of us get acceptable results with the
HoneySoy.  I plan to now, though since you have reminded me.

Expeller process also has some residual lipids which are not in the chemically
produced product.  The lipids (fats) are considered beneficial in the quantities
that they occur in the expeller product.

allen