From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:49:00 +1200
> 1)  Honey does indeed absorb moisture from the air readily (I knew
> that)

On a page I created with a number of Javascript 'conversion' factors
(both straight maths and also 'rules of thumb') there is an
interesting conversion at the bottom, letting you get an
understanding of the relationship of relative humdity to honey
moisture equilibrium.

At its simplest (never a good thing to say!) the honey of any given
moisture content has a particular relative humdity at which point it
will neither give off nor take up moisture.  The higher the honey's
moisture content, the higher that relative humidity is.

Honey at, say 17.3% moisture is 'stable' at about 57% rh, while honey
at 20% moisture would be in equilibrium at 63% rh.

What I'm saying is that the 'dryer' your honey is, the more important
that it not be allowed into prolonged contact with an atmosphere high
in moisture, else it won't stay dry for long!

http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/convert.htm

(Note: I can't remember where I got the original conversion factors
from - may have been Andrew Matheson, formerly of IBRA now with MAF
RA.  If anyone can shed any more light on the maths of it, I'd be
pleased to hear!  Also, any other conversions/rules of thumb that you
think might be worth adding...)

  (\           Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-        home [log in to unmask]
  (/           work [log in to unmask]