From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:50:39 -0400
WARNING.
        Just recently there has been a number of posts regarding Formic
Acid, some of which I find very worrisome to say the least. Apart
from the very cavalier approach regarding the handling of an
extremely dangerous product, plus the complete screwup regarding the
method of measurement, *caution* should be the password.
        Firstly, cms or centimeters in it's full term, is a measurement of
distance, mls or milliliters is a measurement of liquid, the two are
not interchangeable. By squaring (cms2) or cubing (cms3) does not
convert one to the other. The only analogy I can employ is, feet and
yards do not translate to pints and gallons. We were requested
recently to raise the level of Bee-L to University standards, this is
no higher than Elementry School chemistry level. My advice, stick to
the measurement you're accustomed to, Imperial or metric, if you're
not sure, look it up.
        Secondly, Formic Acid is only used as a spring treatment, intended
to kill mites within the brood cells, it should not be used in the
fall. To do so would risk driving the bees out of the hive (under
some conditions) at a time when clustering should be encouraged. Also
it is still uncertain that 60% or even 65% acid is totally safe with
all queens, and has been known to cause queen loss. Needless to say
losing a queen so late in the season spells certain death to the hive
you're busy trying to save. An execise in futility!!
        Finally, Ken Hoare is quite correct. Formic acid will and does take
your skin off, someone else states it's up there with sulphuric acid
(battery acid) and only a fool handles that without due care and
attention. There are better and *softer* treatments available. Just
think, if it does that to you, what's it doing to your bees?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Vest/veil combination