HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Ragan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 07:16:03 -0500
I'm just finishing up the analysis of a sizeable collection of predominantly 19th and early 20th century ceramics from south Argyll, Scotland, which did not see widespread clearance, only the immigration of Lowland and English tenants under various Dukes of Argyll.  While there were a fair number of pieces of flow blue, sponge-printed ware was more popular by far.  The patterns tend to be floral or organic looking borders, and a very wide variety of figures and designs--not limited to geometric and abstract by any means.  The pieces whose marks can be identified frequently came from later 19th and early 20th century potteries in Glasgow, which were producing primarily for the export market (including to North America).  The most popular transfer print patterns were Blue Willow (no surprise), Triumphal Car, and Grecian.

I get the impression that regional tastes varied, and in more than just ceramics.  A parallel situation would probably be the decline in certain kinds of cured herring with the loss of markets in Ireland and the West Indies.

Cheers--

Elizabeth Ragan                  [log in to unmask]
Anthropology                       410-548-4502
History Department
370 Holloway Hall
Salisbury State University
Salisbury, MD  21801  USA