HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 03:17:31 -0500
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< CIDOC/ICOM Archaeological Sites Working Group >>
I remainn surprised at how so few people engaged in collections management
worry about field notes, photographs, maps etc. Several times over the past
ten years, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has inspected a collections
management program I direct and they never review the photographs or maps.
They only examined the field note copies because I place a duplicate set
copied on acid-free paper in acid-free files and in acid-free boxes adjacent
to the regular collection boxes. We have four linear feet of written records
in those boxes and the originals are housed in yet another facility. But,
they are just an example. My point is that the focus has been on the
artifacts, in museum boxes, with the most basic inventory. Strange, indeed.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.