HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:55:09 -0700
        I would like to invite all interested parties to preview my new book
on soda bottlers of El Paso, Texas, and their bottles (1881 to
present).  The book contains numerous historical photos and bottle
photos.  I have included full descriptions of historical bottles
(unlike the typical collectors' literature that only contains partial
descriptions) to improve identification and dating for
archaeologists.
        Although the work is intended for local/regional use,
it contains a chapter on dating that offers new informaion on
returnable bottles.  In addition, I offer a chronology of Pepsi and
Dr Pepper containers and a compilation of the three Coca-Cola bottle
chronologies.
        The book is offered online for two reasons:  1) it
enables me to present a large volume of research at an affordable
price (free) rather than the high cost of the normal publication
venue; and 2) I can easily add information and photos as they become
available.  I eventually intend to offer a cd rom version.
Currently I have completed the work to Chapter 11c (the full book
will be 13 chapters plus 5 apendixes), and I am open to suggestions.
The effort has not yet been peer reviewed.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/~lockhart/EPSodas/index.html

        The book is a pilot project for a new service to be offered by the
Towsend Library of New Mexico State University's Alamogordo Branch.
We hope to offer reference materials of local and regional interest
at no cost to anyone who has computer access.

        I also need help with photos that I have not yet been able to
obtain.  Specifically, I am looking for photos of Apollinaris Water,
Nassau Selter (ceramic bottles), Stafford Mineral Springs Water,
Manitou Mineral Water, and Clysmic "King of Table Waters."  All of
these were offered in El Paso during the 1890-1910 time period, and I
have been unable to obtain photos.  Many other photos are missing for
bottles from very small companies.

        I am interested in all feedback.

Bill

Bill Lockhart