HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Striker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:01:39 -0500
On a recent survey project in southern Indiana, my field crew came across a
complex containing two vertical lime kilns with some associated structural
remnants and perhaps some tailings piles.  I have a good reference on the
lime industry in Indiana called, not surprisingly, The Lime Industry of
Indiana, by C.H. Ault, L.F. Rooney, and M.V. Palmer and published as Indiana
Geological Survey Bulletin 42-J in 1974.  A collegue also provided me with a
copy of a  Mississippi State University report on Nance's Ferry in Pickens
County Alabama, which is a 19th century brick and lime making site.  I know
that the kiln was operated by the Utica Lime Company, which existed from
1870 to 1885. Unfortunately, this is all I've found.  I may be faced with
coming up with a plan for testing this site, and I was hoping that somebody
could direct me towards some appropriate references.

Thanks.

Michael Striker
ASC Group, Inc.
(513) 772-1812