HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Kevin M. Bartoy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:41:00 -0700
Dear list and Wayne Neighbors-

I find the following text a truly disturbing and uncritical evaluation of
the situation ... in some places ... it is just downright offensive.
Particularly for someone with anthropological training. While I agree that
everyone should be able to hold and assert their opinions ... be they
political, religious or otherwise ... I do not think that HISTARCH is the
correct forum for this discussion. If we want to get into this discussion
... we should do a better job at getting 'behind' the political rhetoric
that has infused the words below. It may seem antiquated ... but I believe
that the scholarly community has a duty to imbue argumentation with reason
be it in their own works or in a public forum.

Sorry for the soapbox ...

I was just a bit disturbed by the post.

Kevin M. Bartoy

PS Not willing to give my 'birth right affiliation' (see below) ...
whatever that is ...

... snip ...

>Yes, I am all for Puerto Rico determining their own destiny - and
>paying fully the costs of self-determination.
>
>But, in Puerto Rico, when the issue is put to a vote, it never seems
>to get enough votes? What are they unwilling to give up?
>
>They already own part of New York City and some other metropolitan
>areas - not in Puerto Rico.
>
>In future discussions of these very political topics, please, if you
>take a position, also please identify your birth right affiliation in
>relationship to the regions about which one is commenting.
>
>It does make a difference - so easy to pontificate about that in which
>one has no real involvement?

... snip