From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 17:10:40 -0800
Donald Scarinci ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The only cycle I could find, though, was in three separate CD's.  It does
>not look like RCA has put the cycle together in one boxed set.  Is this
>correct? ...

It sounds as if you're looking at the earlier Davis cycle, with the Boston
SO for Philips.  I have the feeling this has been reissued as three Duo
sets.

I have mixed feelings about Davis's Sibelius.  I've never felt that he
really "gets" for the first two symphonies (in either cycle) - or maybe he
is slightly embarrassed by the overt Romanticism of the 1st, which has to
be played without apology if it is to work IMHO, or the over Nationalism of
the Second - and the 6th and 7th in the Bsoton cycle were wrecked for me by
poor brass playing.

Deryk Barker