From:
Stuart Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:49:38 EDT
I'm familiar with Schwantner here in St.  Louis through Slatkin's
promotion of his music.  He was composer-in-residence for the SLSO, from
1972-1975 (before my time).  Although he received his graduate training
in CM composition (in the later 60's), he had early experience as a jazz
performer and arranger.  Among instruments he played were guitar and tuba
(explains his powerful use of lower brass in his orchestral music).  I
think he still is on the Eastman faculty.  His earliest published works
were in chamber music.  His first score for orchestra was 'Aftertones of
Infinity,' which won him the Pulitzer in '69.  I'm most familiar with his
Concerto for Percussion & Orch.  and New Morning for the World:  "Daybreak
of Freedom" (Slatkin/NSO/Glennie, BMG 09026-68692-2).  I really enjoy both
of these pieces since it was this type of music that initially brought me
into a love for CM.  I find New Morning for the World expresses both
tragedy and hope.  The piece includes spoken word, taken from M.L.  King's
speeches and is interwoven through out the music, which I feel expresses
MLK's hope and determination in the midst of violence and prejudice.  I
find Schwantner to be modern while still retaining an overall tonal
structure.  Other composers I would liken him to would be Aaron Jay Kernis,
Michael Torke, David Schiff, and elements of Vaughn Williams, Copland,
Bernstein and Barber.  Was the percussion piece you heard 'Velocities',
for solo marimba?

Stuart Karow