From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:07:54 -0700
Pablo Gamba responds to Edgar Beach:

>'d like to recomend you the Alexander Nevski oratorio by Prokofiev, that
>is a version of the music composed for the same title film by Einsestein.

I *strongly* recommend Alexander Nevsky with Abbado/LSO on DG, now
available at midprice.  I have never heard a more dramatic reading, or
a reading where the conductor takes such an expansive view of the "Entry
into Pskov--right or wrong, it works.  The Battle on the ice is played as
vividly as one could want; (special thanks to the Bass Drum player), and
you can actually hear the percussion "counterpoint" before the two armies
clash--which is in itself, spectacular.

A Gramophone reviewer has called the recording "pile driving," which it is,
but I have no problem imagining immigrant Teutonic Knights driving around
tractors in tank tops under the hot afternoon sun.....(though some listers
who were present at the battle will point out that it was fought @1240.)

John Smyth