From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:08:51 -0700
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>What do people think of Bernstein's Mahler's Symphony #4?  Is there a must have
>performance of this?

I have always been lukewarm regarding Bernstein's Mahler, never
understanding why he is so many people's _first_ choice.  His second Fourth
(for DG) has a boy soloist in the last movement (so does Nanut) but there
is no sanction for this in the score.  Far better in this piece overall
are Kletzki, Szell, Reiner or Benjamin Britten on BBC Legends (the latter
a revelation).  You must also think of Mengelberg's great 1939 "live"
recording.  Mengelberg knew Mahler, heard him conduct the work, conducted
the work in Mahler's presence and discussed it with him.  His score is
covered in notes.

I know you want a reply now but I shall be dealing with Mahler's Fourth
very soon in my continuing Mahler recordings survey:

   http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/

The Second has just been adeed.  Next will be Das Lied Von Der Erde and
THEN the Fourth.

Tony Duggan,  England.