From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:59:04 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Dave Lewis wrote:
>
>>As stated in the opening, I'd like to hear who your favorite neglected
>>composers are - so over to you.
>
>One of Dave's choices was Berwald, and I agree with Dave.

I agree too.  Try the symphonies on Naxos they're really nice.  Different
from other composers around at the time.

>Other composers who I'd like to see garner more recognition are:

>c.  Reicha - He's in the time period and class of Spohr but recorded less
>frequently.

Reicha is underrated.  Could this be because he did not wite enough catchy
tunes? Also he was a teacher of music and for some reason teachers rarely
seem to get their due as composers.

Here's some more:

Micheal Haydn:  works to listen to:  Symphony in D, Serenade, quintets,
all sacred music.  His concertos and symphonies are better than most people
think too.

Glazunov:  Nice symphonies and other orchestral works.

Faure:  His chamber works and religious music deserve greater recognition

Martinu:  Attractive symphonies and chamber works.

Bob Draper