From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:10:25 -0400
John Smyth wrote:

>What I miss in Bach, (and it's not his fault), is orchestral color, and
>changes in meter and dynamics within single movements.  His music, *within
>movements,* is infused with what I would call a sort of "mono-emotionalism".

I suppose one could quibble with your assertion, by using exceptions
that come to mind (the First Brandenburg?) etc.  But I understand the
overall sweep of what you're saying.  To some extent it is a formalism
characteristic of the time, but mono-emotionalism is not confined to the
Baroque era--certainly there is much music (rondos, and some scherzos for
example) in the Classic era that I would put in the same category.

>There is no sense of ambiguity and mystery.  The Baroque is characterized
>by logic, restraint, and understatement; and while one can always find
>exceptions, the era as a whole just doesn't turn me on.

I suppose by this you mean Baroque MUSIC, and mainly the music of the late
Baroque.  The very early, transitional/Mannerist part of this era is quite
different, at least to my ears.  "Hor che'l ciel e la terra" would be one
counterexample I would propose.  Baroque visual arts may be an entirely
different matter too.....

However, if the music doesn't "turn you on," that's a matter of taste, and
I don't wish to argue with that.

>What Bach does within the musical environment of his times is, of course,
>beyond reproach, but I prefer the music of the composers who stood on his
>shoulders--even though their excessive indulgence can sometimes be at the
>expense of musical logic.

There may still be "logic", in the use of sonata form, or some other
constructions in this later music.  But I tend to think that if any
composer transcends time, form, and logic while giving the impression
of showing complete mastery over them, it is Bach.

>Maybe someday this will change.  One of my piano teachers once said that
>no one under fifty has any business performing Bach or Mozart--an absurd
>statement, but haunting.  Could I be missing the emotional depths?

I think the emotional depths are there, but not as obvious as in later
music.  If you are "missing" them, you aren't alone, and I wouldn't worry
about it.  If the time comes for the music to speak to you, you'll know it.
Until then, enjoy what you like.

Bill H.