From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:45:02 -0000
Janos Gereben wrote:

>The fourth batch of "BBC Legends" is coming out in February, and the two
>I heard so far -- a 1962 Irmgard Seefried Wolf-Schubert-Schumann-Brahms
>recital, and the Jascha Horenstein-BBC/NSO "Das Lied von der Erde" with
>Alfreda Hodgson and, especially, John Mitchinson -- are well, well worth
>having.  (Horenstein's lecture on "Das Lied" is a great bonus.)

I too have a review copy of the Horenstein Mahler DLVDE and can certainly
testify to the fact that the sound (taken from the BBC master tape) is a
fine improvement on the "off-air" pirated versions (Music&Arts and Descant)
we have had for some years.  As to the performance, it remains one of the
most remarkable on the market.  The short talk by Horenstein is placed at
the end rather than the beginning which is a pity, though.  The notes are
by Joel Lazar who was Horenstein's assistant at the time and offer some
excellent insights into his working methods.  At the time of the BBC
re-broadcast a couple of years ago there was an interview with John
Mitchinson who told us that that at the end he turned round to find half
the orchestra in tears.  Though a studio recording with no audience
present, it was recorded in one take.

Tony Duggan, England.
Developing Mahler survey:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/