From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:46:44 PST
Alan Stone wrote:

>You ought to listen to the new Naxos with Halasz conducting.  His unique
>lyrical approach makes Fidelio sound as lyrical as if written
>by Weber.

Since I stated that this is the land of equal opportunity, I'll buy the
Halasz as well; lyrical sounds appealing for this opera.

>Once again Naxos has shown us that the road to hell for classical music
>is to play the rock personality game and con people into thinking that some
>hack like Barenboim (listen to the beginning of his sloppy Verdi Requiem)
>has mystical powers frankly I will take Halasz over any of those fakes you
>mention.

Sounds like Alan is off on a little tirade.  That's fine; I have my share
as well.  So, Barenboim, Mackerras, Davis, Harnoncourt, and company are
fakes? Alan, isn't there any recording by each of these imposters that you
think well of?

Don Satz