From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:58:32 -0200
Wes Crone wrote:

>Sometimes I wonder if I am missing out by not listening to music by
>composers who don't do anything for me emotionally or on any other level.
>I also wonder if I am NOT missing a thing when I refuse the opportunity to
>listen to that which I dislike.  Is a person missing out when they don't
>take the time to listen to music they dislike?

Kafka, Jorge Luis Borges - I don't remember which writer - said / wrote
we just should read what really ravishes us.  There are a lot of books and
authors that could do that to us and we would not have time to read all of
them, so why to loose time with something not revanishing for us? I think
that is apropriate to music too.  Why stay listening for a whole cicle
XXX's sonatas if I didn't like the ten first ones and I didn't listen to
all of YYY's - that I liked - yet!  Why to listen to ANY other thing that
I don't know if I will like (and I will have to pay for the CD!) if THERE
ARE so many things I am sure I will like and I didn't listen yet? Well,
Jonh Smith, Leo Brauer, Stockhousen, etc.  There are hundreds of Mozarts,
Bachs, Beethovens, Haendels, Brahms', Wagners, Schuberts, Schumanns, and
Prokofievs to listen and spend money with before your turn!  Not personal!
Maybe after I listen to all I want i will be vary glad to find on you new
horizonts.  By now, I have enough to look for.

By the way, I heard to Ligeti's music on Kubrik's "2001:  A Space Odissey"
and my father bought the LP.  That's all I reard of his music and I liked
a lot!, specialy Requiem for Soprano.  He is one of the YYYs.

Renato Vinicius