From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:20:59 +0000
Keith Gerling  writes:

>I've read your posting several times, and I finally have to admit I'm not
>sure of your point.  It seems as if you're suggesting that music has run
>out of possibilities; that there are no new areas to be explored.  I think
>you're mistaken.

That is exactly what I am suggesting.  I can't see much original coming up
in the way of new forms.  But sure there is plenty of scope to experiment
with existing forms.  By form here I mean romanticism for example.

>Just as in all eras, the field is rampant with creative forces at work
>trying to stretch the envelope.  And, just as before, time will tell which
>of these individuals will succeed and become the "classical" composers of
>our time.

Are any of these people creating new forms/idioms or merely working within
existing structures?

>....  But I continue to be perplexed by the lack of interest in
>contemporary music.  Are there any Morton Feldman fans here? How about
>Alan Lucier?

The answer to this one is that basically people love a good tune and
most modern composers seem to want to avoid one at all costs..

Bob Draper
*!*!* Seasons greeting to all my readers  *!*!*