From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:19:33 -0800
John Smyth wrote:

>>I have been eyeing this CD for quite awhile.  The reviews are good,
>>(Haitink/1st Symphony, Previn/2nd, Tortelier in the Cello Concerto, Ida
>>Haendel in the Violin Concerto), and I'm ready to buy.  Anyone have any
>>serious doubts about the performances?

Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> replies:

>Don't know the Haitink.  The Previn 2nd I have good memories of, ditto the
>Cello Concerto.  The real treasure is the Haendel.  I have always loved
>that recording.  She is a very interesting violinist.  Her Elgar VC is
>stunning--IF you like the slow tempos, which I do very much, at least the
>way she plays them.

I don't know either, but the Mackerras on EMI is of moderate interest, and
the Ashkenazy on Decca/London is only moderately more interesting.  The
true gems are the budget Naxos CDs under the baton Paul Daniel and the ECO.
Of course, these include the symphonies only.  EMI's recording of the "Film
Scores" is exciting.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco