From:
Jonathan Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 15:09:02 -0800
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Where are the Wagner-recordings of the century?

I have yet to find a single person who can wholeheartedly endorse a Wagner
opera.  Some prefer the live experiences at Bayreuth, and others love some
of the studio recordings.  The one Wagner recording I thought about adding
to the list was the "live" Nilsson/Windgassen Tristan und Isolde with Bohm.
I hesitated, however, because I'm not sure that Windgassen is the ideal
Tristan, but I have no reservations about endorsing Nilsson's radiant
Isolde.  I also own the Klemperer Dutchman, and the Solti Ring, but there
are various reasons I left them off the list although I'm sure the Solti
deserves an honorable mention for its accomplishment.

Jonathan Knapp