From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:12:43 -0600
Steven Schwartz's comment on my post:

>>I looked up this work in the "New Groves" dictionary, the Hoboken catalog
>>of works, and - indirectly via these sources - the first edition.  They all
>>agree that Haydn is the one who arranged the work, and certainly sanctioned
>>it.  Of course these sources are all a few years old, so maybe something
>>has come to light recently.
>
>I always thought the quartet version was the original and the full-blown
>one the "arrangement."

According to the Hoboken catalog, both versions were published in 1787, but
the orchestral rendition was composed in 1785.  (No date is given for the
composition of the quartet, though "Grove" gives a [completion?] date of
11 Feb 1787 for the orch.  version, and 14 Feb 1787 for the quartet.)

>Live and learn.

Something I try to do everyday...

Mark K. Ehlert