From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:14:20 PST
Deryk barker asked concerning my general dislike of Liszt's music:

>I just wonder which Liszt you're basing this assessment on considering his
>enormous output.

He sure did write a lot of music.  Liszt's music is a topic I enjoy when
I'm in a bad mood or when I use him in a joke.  I'm feeling fine right now,
and I have no jokes to tell.  But, Deryk essentially asked for a list, and
I never refuse a list:

Piano concertos
Annees de pelerinage (but some of it is nice).
Hungarian Rhapsodies
Etudes
Mephisto Waltzes
Battle of the Huns
Rhapsodie espagnole
Dante Symphony
Piano sonata

I don't find every single part of each of these works to be disliked, but
my overall feelings about them are in that range.  But, I'm a young guy
with about 50 years left in me.  There's always the chance of a Satz-Liszt
alliance smiting all the Crones in the land.

There's some history to this Liszt business.  My dad was a highly
histrionic type who had a penchant for exhibitionism - would YOU want to
live with this man? Anyways, he salivated over romantic era composers, and
boy did I hear it, and hear it, and hear it.  One year I think that he had
the notion he was related to Liszt; even my mom who was the "grin and bear
it" type felt compelled to inform him that he was driving us nuts and his
last name was *Satz*.  The guy snapped out of it in time to move on to his
next obsession.

Don Satz