From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:52:54 +0100
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Ogdon's recording was made in 1987-8 with the full consent of the composer.

In the booklet of the new recording of the OC by Geoffrey D. Madge (which
is quite good, IMHO) it is written that pianists had to visit Sorabji and
play for him before they were allowed to perform his music in public - in
the rare case of course that Sorabji liked their playing.  As the story
goes Sorabji did not like Ogdons playing the first time Ogdon played for
him (he said something like *Your playing tells me nothing, you can
stop...*) - Ogdon then played Sorabjis works only in private performances.
Is this true and why did Sorabji change his mind later?

By the way 2.5 hous for the OC seems to me impossible!

Achim Breiling