From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:44:46 -0800
Don Satz wrote:

>Personally, I think period instruments are a must, and Goebel's set of the
>Mystery Sonatas on Archiv is exceptional.  There was another good period
>instrument recording of the Mystery Sonatas from Virgin, but that seems to
>be out of print (don't remember the performers).

I like Goebel's, for his usual energy and pizazz, but my own favorite
recording is by John Holloway and Davitt Maroney for a more melancholic
beauty.  This doesn't seem available in the U.S.  anymore but I wasn't
able to search Tower which is down right now.

I did find it at Crotchet, for which I have a searchbox because it's a
good place for those in Europe and for those of us in the U.S. who can't
find certain CDs here.  http://www.andrys.com/books.html#crotchet

The Romanesca group has Andrew Manze for a violinist and that CD is
considered one of the best, but it's not the Mystery Sonatas, which contain
some of the most beautiful music I've heard.

Andrys in Berkeley, CA
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search Classical: Sheet Music, Videos, CDs